Friday, June 27, 2008

How this came to be

Recently I've felt called to study more, learn more, read more. As a teacher, I've realized for a while how little I really know about so many things.

As a Christian, I find the Bible, God's infallible word, completely overwhelming. Yet I am yearning for more knowledge right now. This summer, I am participating in a young mother's Bible Study with some dear friends of mine. This is barely touching the thirst I have for more knowledge. This week I'm teaching VBS and I realize how little I really know God's word. Yet, I struggle to find (make) time to read and ultimately understand scripture.

However, when I read a commentary or a teacher's manual, I'm astounded by the depth of God's love for us, my own inability to met the standard of perfection and my intense, complete need for the "rescue that only Jesus, the living Word and our Redeemer, can provide." (Tripp, pg. 41)

I'm reading a book entitled "War of Words" by Paul David Tripp. I was enthralled by the end of the first page. So, this space came to be so that I have a place to reflect on my reading, a sacred place to record my journey as I learn more. After I finish reading War of Words, I'll move on to another text. I'll continue to use this space for reflection.

I'd love some dialog. If you'd like read War of Words, feel free to pick up a copy from your local book store or on-line. If you'd just like to respond to my reflection, I'd certainly enjoy that, too. I'm not afraid of some hot debate, although I won't tolerate bashing. If this isn't a forum that you enjoy or want to participate in, I ask you to respectfully honor this as my sacred place to learn and grow in God's grace. This will most definitely be a space that is prayed for and about and that contains Christian content. I will be honored to pray for you and with you--just leave me a comment.

Because it is already 12:30 and tomorrow is my last day teaching the four and five year olds at Vacation Bible School, I will begin posting my reflections of War of Words tomorrow.

In Christ,
Natalie

2 comments:

Rose said...

Excellent. I'm too far buried in books I haven't started reading or haven't finished reading to start another - so I'll have to see what you have to say for now.

And then get back to the book I'm supposed to be reading for my women's small group, Love Me with Stubborn Love by Anne Ortlund.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I will look for the book and try to follow your posts.